Merrijig lodge is located at 26 Stirling Road, Mt Buller village, on the corner of Chamois Road, less than 10 minutes walk from the centre of the village.
Mt Buller is the most accessible major alpine resort in Australia, being the closest one to any international airport in Australia. A three hour drive from Melbourne and you are in a serene mountain atmosphere where you can get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, and enjoy nature at it’s best.
Getting Around The Mountain
Free winter shuttle buses
Merrijig has a free village shuttle bus stop directly across Chamois road from the lodge, allowing you to easily get to and from the village, which is especially convenient when carrying ski gear or travelling with kids. The shuttle bus runs throughout winter from 8am to 6pm, and until midnight on Saturdays.
The Mt Buller village map here shows Merrijig lodge (#131) and the convenient village shuttle bus stop (#3) across the road.
Convenient 4WD taxis can get you to wherever you want in the village, whatever the conditions.
It is easy and pleasant walking around Mt Buller village, and the centre of the village is less than 10 minutes walk from the lodge.
By Car (Summer only)
In summer you can walk, cycle or drive all around Mt Buller village as you please (it is only winter when car usage is restricted).
Hitting the ski slopes
When it’s time to hit the slopes, you have a few options.
Via the Village Centre
- Direct access to Bourke St
- Many services available, such as lift tickets, lifts, guest services and ski school
- Easy access via foot
- Minimal walking if you catch the free village shuttle bus
- Tickets can be purchased the day before, so that you can avoid morning crowds and queues
- Good in any snow conditions
Via Chamois Run and Lift area
- Walk or ski (conditions permitting) down Chamois Road straight to Chamois run, and start skiing without having to load any lift
- Tickets are available at the top of Chamois lift (check opening hours; purchase ticket before riding lift)
- Gain direct access to the mountain via the Canyon Trail rope tows and Standard Run, and bypass the village centre and its crowds
- Note that Chamois run is not really suitable for beginners or kids
The Canyon Trail is a lesser known locals tip and is accessed below the top of Chamois Lift just below the first buildings on skiers right of Chamois Run. If you ski along the trail you will see the two rope tows that take you through to Standard run. See the Mt Buller (Southern Slopes) Trail Map for further details.
Via other Mt Buller locations
- If use the Village Shuttle Bus you can access the ski slopes via any other village location, such as Mt Buller Ski School or the Arlberg Hotel area (where you have access to a variety of runs) – the bus runs right around the whole village, so just stay on board until you get to your destination
- No walking required
In winter, cars are restricted on Mt Buller, so most people drive and park in the mountain carparks (1.5km below the village) and catch 4WD drive taxis to Merrijig, or use the bus system from Melbourne, Mansfield, or Mirimbah to get to the Village Centre (from where they catch a 4WD taxi or the free village shuttle bus to Merrijig). In summer, you can drive the whole way to the lodge.